Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tampa Bay Rays bring back baseball memories

The hottest ticket in town right now isn't to a Broadway show or concert. It's the World Series, which kicks off tomorrow at the Trop between the Tampa Bay Rays and the Philadelphia Phillies. On my birthday of all days.

So as a present I'm hoping the Rays will win the first game just for me.

The hoopla over the Rays in the playoffs and their historic first-ever bid in the World Series brought back a lot of memories of me as a kid cheering for my favorite team baseball team ever - the Atlanta Braves. I was in middle school at the time, and I remember staying up in my room with the TV on late into the night to watch the Braves in the playoffs and the World Series games for subsequent seasons. I had to keep the sound on the TV pretty low, cheers to a minimum and my Tomahawk Chop chants silent so that my mom would think I was sleeping instead of staying up late watching the games. But it was still exciting getting all caught up in the drama of it all. The Braves came close to winning it all several times, but just didn't made it all the way until 1995, when they finally won a World Series. By then, though, I wasn't the baseball fanatic I once was. I was too into the high school football scene.

Here's hoping the Rays will win all the first time around.

-January Holmes

No comments: